Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A home for the Lord. 2 Samuel 7:1,2

David had the right thought.  He thought about all that the Lord had given to him:  the success and the rest that he had from his enemies.  He looked at his own palace in all its beauty.  Then he considered the home of the Lord.  Perhaps with a note of shame.

He said to Nathan the prophet, "Here I am, living in a palace of Cedar, while the ark of God remains in a tent." 2 Samuel 7:2

What a realization!  Can you imagine a king or a President living in a tent while you dwelt in a mansion.  It would never or should never happen.  David greatly loved God and though it was understandable that God dwelt in the tent when they were a wondering people, it seemed out of place for God to remain there.  It was time for God to have a permanent home!  For just as Jerusalem was here to stay so was their God.  It was the only honorable thing to do.  I'm sure we would all agree.
During my last blog I explained that God was please with this idea but left that task for his son and If you read about Solomon's temple you know how grand it was.  

Today this makes me wonder about how we treat God.  Today we know that God lives in heaven and God lives in the heart of each believer.  So God's temple is within you!  But I wonder what does the temple of your heart look like?  Have you made room and provisions for God to dwell there?

King David considered building the temple in a moment of reflection from the business of his day.  It says there was piece in the land.  So I can imagine that this was a time to breath and yes contemplate upon the importance of God.  Perhaps he was embarrassed that he did not consider this thought earlier.

What about you?  Are you so busy that you have ignored the fact or perhaps overlooked the fact that God dwells within.  I believe God waits for you and for me each day in that temple.   Do you have a nice sitting room to contemplate God and God's goodness?   Is your temple an adequate reflection of your love?  If so. Is it a fitting expression worthy of the Lord of Lords and King of Kings?

I'm not talking about your physical body.  Yes we are the temple of the Holy Spirit and we should take care of our physical bodies.  With that said, I believe it is more important that we care for our Spiritual body.  We need to learn to see the shape of our Spiritual body as an expression of our love and devotion to God.  The kind of love and devotion that David wanted to show as he contemplated moving God from a tent to a fitting temple.

To Ponder:  Is my Spiritual temple for the Lord more like a tent or a palace adorned for a king?

Also, how can you clean out that temple and make it a true home worthy of God.   I know that many of you simply enjoy reading what I write but today I want to encourage you to share your thoughts with me.   In the comment section please share one of the ways that has helped you to adorn your holy temple.  Are there special disciplines or prayers?   

Sometimes it's easy to only do those Spiritual disciplines which will be helpful to us.   But I think for today we need to think about what we can do for God with no expectation of any return.   I'm reminded from the Scriptures that God inhabits our praise.  God loves our worship!   Today let us consider the condition of the sanctuary of our heart.

No comments: