Wednesday, November 13, 2013

You're only fooling yourself.....God knows Psalm 139:1-6

God knows everything...  We can't fool God... The Lord has searched us.  The Lord knows when we sit.  When we rise.  The Lord knows our thoughts.  He discerns our going out and our lying down.  God know everyone's thoughts, words and deeds.  If you think about that for just a second you might be tempted to tremble say,  "God knows that?  He saw me when I said those words and did those deeds?  What hope do I have to stand in his judgement.

In addition God knows our ways.  God knows our words before they are spoken?  How can this be?  And if this is true...  which is the greatest surprise that God is capable of doing such wonders or  that God still loves us?

Psalm 139: 5 says, "You hem me in behind and before, you have laid your hand upon me."  I read that passage to a woman of great faith this week and she spoke about the comfort it brought to her that God hems her in like a great big hug of love and protection.   As I read that passage over indeed I could not give a better interpretation of what that verse means.  No wonder David would proclaim in the following verse, "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."

Indeed these things are too lofty for us to understand.  It's like trying to comprehend the expanse of the universe We know that there can be no limits to the universe.  Could it be that there is no limits to God's understanding and to God's love?  Again like David this is beyond our understanding because all we can understand with our finite minds is what we see here on Earth.  We can only imagine incomplete and imperfect love because its all we have ever experienced in our relationships with others.  But could it be that there is a love far beyond our capacity to understand?  A love so great that it would go to no limit including a cruel Roman cross to both prove its love and take the barriers away from our capacity to know God personally, intimately and forever?

Indeed through faith we believe that God looks into the dirties places of our heart and says, "I love you and I will help to clean you up if you let me".  " But even if you don't let me in,  I won't stop pursuing you until we have the intimate relationship I created you for.  Isn't that the message of the gospel?

To ponder:  Is there places in your heart and life that you're trying to hide from God?  You're only fooling yourself.  Why don't you marvel at his grace and humbly accept God's loving arms that hem you in behind and before. So today don't turn away God's love embrace it.

No comments: