Friday, February 14, 2014

Real love for Valentine's Day. Ecclesiastes 3:1-11

     Ecclesiastes 3:8  a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

Yes it is Valentine's Day so happy Valentine's to all my friends and family! 

  It just happens to be that I'm blogging in the book of Ecclesiastes as I travel through the Bible.   You all know that in Ecclesiastes 3 it says that there is a time for everything under heaven.   

You would think that every time is a time for love, right?   I mean is there ever a time to not love?  And what is this time for hate  or a time for war all about?

Personally I think it is because of the world that we live in.   I sometimes pray, "Lord teach me to love those things that you love and to hate those things you hate."   I think it is a good prayer?

Yes there are somethings that God hates.  I think he especially hates when people harm children and lead them astray.   But some might say,  "But what about the saying that we are supposed to love the sinner and hate the sin."   that's pretty good too...  though it is very hard for us to do in practice.

I think about Jesus a lot.  Sometimes I think about his... less than loving words he spewed out to the Pharisees and other religious leaders.   Did he love the sinner?  I think he did.  I think that his harsh words were meant to get their attention! His anger was meant to stop them from their harmful actions.   Yes he was angry.... but yes... he loved them and wanted them to repent and receive Him as Lord and Savior.

 Jesus always knew what time it was and is!  

What time is it for you?  

Sometimes the most loving things  we can do is to deal directly with a problem in life.   Our motive is the key.  If we are addressing a situation with the  hope of eventual reconciliation,  first with Christ and then among ourselves,  we're probably on the right tract.

So out of Christ's Great love for you,  How do you think Jesus might address you today? How would he address your faults and failings?

 If you are interested and concerned that he might not be pleased... and if you are humble... Jesus knows that this is a time to extend to you love and grace.

So isn't it time that you fully embrace the one who loves you most.  You're His Valentine.  He offered his red heart of love to you on the cross.

Prayer:  Thank you God for showing us what love is all about.  Help me to love like you love even when I would rather turn away.    

No comments: