Monday, January 19, 2015

Peace begins in our hearts. Micah 6:6-8


"With what shall I come before the Lord and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old?
Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of olive oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.   And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly[a] with your God."  Micah 6:6-8


What a perfect text to come up for us on Martin Luther King Day because we can affirm that this was the heart of his actions and his desires.  Martin Luther King Jr. sought to act justly and to promote justice.  He sought to act out of a heart of love and to promote love and peace for all people.  Truly, love, mercy and humility inspired his actions and were reflected in his unselfish leadership.  

Truly this day is not just a celebration for black Americans.  It's a celebration for all people.  Because of his example and his desire to seek justice and walk humbly with his God, all of us are better! Our nation is better!  Our world is better!

His work however must continue because we are still a divided nation and the divisions often run even deeper than the color of a person's skin.  What is the solution for today?  Its not found in our good intentions or our show of selfish sacrifices which only exalts our own personal agenda's.  Our hope is to follow the way of Micah 6:8.   

When it says.... "He has shown you....." we can't help but to think about our Lord Jesus Christ.   He is our example.  He was the inspiration and the power behind Martin Luther King Jr and if we will have true peace in our world we need more people who will follow our Lord's example.

To ponder:  As we consider the problems of our day let us remember that first and foremost before we do anything we must become something.  We must become people who act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God.  If we all do that, then God will lead us in the direction of peace and love.

Prayer:  Dear God we humbly come before you.  We are aware of our own sins.  We are aware of our own selfish desires that have harmed others and caused division.   As it says in Psalm 139:23,24 we invite you today to "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts.  See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.

No comments: