Monday, March 30, 2015

Carry your cross: Matthew 16:24-26

Matthew 16:24-26

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?


  On Sunday I talked about how Jesus was always in control.  He wasn't a victim as he hung on the cross. It was all apart of His plan.  Jesus choose to go to the cross.  At any time Jesus could have destroyed his enemies and walked off the cross but because of love and because of his desire to be our savior, he chose to take up his cross.  Such love and such grace are truly amazing!  

On this week when we focus our hearts and minds on the cross of Jesus, we must remember that we are called to take up our cross as well.  But it is our choice.

We've all heard people who talk about their pains or their life situation as the "cross I have to bear".  We understand what they mean and many people have tremendous challenges but if we are to look at what Jesus says about  "cross bearing" we see that it is a choice that me make about how we live.  Its not a burden that is thrust upon us.  Rather it maybe a response to the burden.

Jesus gives us three words that help to make this point even clearer and all of these are action words   These three instuctions for the true disciple are 1. to deny themselves.  2 to take up their cross. and 3. to follow me.  The three verbs used here are all active: to deny, take up and follow.  Cross bearing is always voluntary just as Jesus act and sacrifice was voluntary.  

Today a person may choose to take up his or her cross by going to a war torn area to preach the gospel or to give humanitary aid.  A person might volunteer at a homeless shelter or food program donating both money and time.  A peron might make the choice to fast and pray and put aside their own personal needs for the blessing of others.  There are many examples of denying ourselves, taking up our cross and following Jesus.  

 Now it maybe that our pains in life are spring boards for our crosses as with the case of the Apostle Paul.   He was given an infirmity or a thorn in the flesh.  We don't know what the infirmity was but it could have derailed his ministry.  It was that debilitating.  However, he chose to "take up his cross" and to continue to serve and minister to God's people.  In the same way, we may have a condition that Satan might try to use to stop us from serving God and being a blessing to others.

I don't know what the Lord has in store for any of us but as we deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow him we will fulfill God' will.  By giving of our lives or perhaps even losing our lives in ministry of Christ, our Scripture promise that we will actually find our life.  This is one of the great paradoxes of life.

This week I'm especially thankful that Christ denied Himself, took up the cross and followed in the will of the father.   Christ gave up his place in heaven.  He humbled himself to the point of dying on the cross.  As a result the Father lifted him up and exalted him to the highest place.  Jesus found his greatest glory as he gave up his life for us all!

To ponder:  What is the cross that God is calling me to pick up?  How does Jesus want me to deny myself and follow Him.

Prayer:  Dear God help me to see if there is anything in life that I'm trying to hold on to that is keeping me from finding myself completely in your will.  Reveal those things to me and help me to have strength and wisdom to lose my life in you.

No comments: