Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Can't a little fear be a good thing? Ex. 20:18-21


Now I know that I said that God didn't create the commandments so we would hear his judgment but I can just hear some of you saying, or at least I hear myself saying,  "But isn't a little fear a good thing?"

You'll notice that I didn't end the Scripture text at verse 17 when the commandments ended.  I included the response of the people in verses 18-21.  They were afraid because of the thunder and the lightning and the sound of the trumpets.  They were trembling!  They cried out to Moses.... "You speak with us, and we will hear; but let not God speak with us, lest we die."  Exodus 20:19 NKJ

As I was typing I couldn't help but to think about the 10 Commandments movie where Charlton Heston stood on the rock with his arms outstretched with lightning in the background and the tablets in his hands.   It was a scary and powerful scene.  Yes I can understand their fear and I can understand our fear of God especially when we see major lightning storms or tornado's.   But is fear a good thing or a bad thing?

There is a saying that goes something like this.   "If you fear God you will fear no man."  I think I saw it on a church sign so if it was first said by a famous person let me know so I can quickly quote them.   I'm new at this blogging thing and don't want to get into trouble.

But I believe the saying is true that if we have a healthy degree of fear of the Lord it will help us to keep from sinning. 

When it comes to the commandments itself, I think it is good for us to seriously consider the consequences for our actions especially if we are steeling, lying, and hurting others.  Perhaps the greatest sin of our time that people tend to have no shame about is the first....to have no other gods before God.   I believe that there are consequences hear on earth when we act in disobedience to God's laws and to man's law.   As Christians we understand that when we break a law it doesn't mean that we lose our salvation. (oops.... doctrine alert! I know some of you might differ with me of that or at least have some qualifiers)   However we do put wedges between us and with others.   So we should be fearful of such things.  Yes healthy fear is a good thing that can lead us to righteousness and holy living which will only serve to build up relationships and not tare them down.

But if you are feeling guilty or perhaps a little disciplined by the Lord,  remember we don't need to be afraid for the Lord disciplines the one's he loves.    Yes the law is a teacher and most of the time we learn best when we are afraid to fall asleep in class.

Thought to ponder:   If you're fearful because you look at the mess you've made of your life.  If your life looks like a mixed up finger painting.  Remember God sent Jesus not to condemn the world but to save the world through his son.  John 3: 17   What wonderful lessons we learn as we walk through the Word with our lord.

1 comment:

The Transformer said...

Your blog causes me to think of my relationship with my father. I loved him and had no doubt that he loved me. But I feared him. He was not to be messed with or disobeyed. I also "feared" disappointing him. Fear was a part of our relationship. But I believe it was a good and healthy thing.