Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Courage in the face of our struggles - Joshua 1:9

Our faith and our courage are proven and tested best under fire.

It's one thing to say that we believe. It’s one thing to know the Bible, the laws and the right thing to do and yet a very different thing to live by them. But live by our convictions we must!  

Some people wonder if God tests our faith by causing challenges and pain in our life. I tell them God doesn't have too.... life is filled with enough challenges all its own. Now it is true that sometimes I think God allows us to face certain trials and pains for one reason or another. Thankfully out of God's grace we don't experience all the pain this life has to offer. Thankfully by God's grace we do drive to work and back safely and the drunk driver doesn't always hit another car.

No, I don't think that God tests us but if we are to live in this world of troubles and sin we will face our share of pain. Unfortunately, most of us will never become self-made millionaires who can hibernate on a deserted tropical island far away from the idiots of this world.   

In Joshua's case, as with most of the great heroes of the Bible,  trials, worries, fears, and, yes, great pain would come to him precisely because he was confronting the evil world as a Godly leader. It is true that sometimes Joshua's greatest defeats came as the result of his failure and the failure of the people to obey God's word. However, his worries and struggles were no less challenging when he was doing everything right. That is just how life is most of the time but because we are human we don't like the world to work that way. We want to be blessed when we've been living right and when we mess up we understand why we get ourselves into trouble. With this thinking in mind, when we can't see a reason for our pain, we tend to blame God and shake our fist. God understands this of course and the Bible is filled with people who cried out a variation of our favorite complaint,"Why me, Lord!" I've said that a couple times over the past couple of years myself.

Yes, over and over God tells Joshua to be strong and courageous. Why?  Simply because life is hard especially for those with the courage to face the evil of this world head on. But know this, "If you are standing for what is right, God is standing behind you and with you. If you let God, he will also carry you."

I offer these words to all of my friends who are suffering. Especially for those who struggle with Trigeminal Neuralgia like I have suffered over the last two and a half years. God is with you in the pain. Pain is not our enemy. Of course, it is not our friend either! Pain is not the enemy but giving up and hiding out is. But God surely understands and is with us during those times as well for God draws near to those who are in pain.  

Personally, since I've received healing following a surgery in February, I have come to the point that I am thankful for those two years. I've learned much about myself. I didn't give up. I wish I could say I didn't complain and do my share of hiding out. My wife would correct me if I said that! No, I am not the ideal patient but through the pain I have learned much. I know that I'm a much better counselor and I have much more confidence in most areas of my life. I've learned that God is able to hold us even through the most difficult struggles. If you can make it through Trigeminal Neuralgia, you can make it through just about anything.

So to all my friends from the Trigeminal Neuralgia group I offer these words: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD, your God, will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 That truth was given to Joshua but it seems to me we can embrace that truth as well because it comes from the heart of an unchanging God who loves us.

To Ponder: If you lack courage, hand your cares to the Lord for God cares for you.   

These are the words of Jesus to you today: "Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Accept my teachings and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit, and you will find rest for your lives. The teaching that I ask you to accept is easy; the load I give you to carry is light."  Matthew 11:28-30


God bless you and give you strength and courage.

No comments: