Friday, July 12, 2013

Single minded...... Joshua 24:15

"...then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve..."   Joshua 24:15


Life is tough.... Ok that is an under statement but we know that it is.

Time hasn't changed in that way through the years.  It's always been tough and Joshua surely understood the really difficult days!   And that is an understatement!

Joshua was getting old and he had something to say to the next generation.  His advice is something we all need to hear as well.

Joshua brought the people together and said, "...choose this day whom you will serve..."   Joshua had made his choice.  He was a hero of the faith.  There was no wavering in Joshua's devotion.  His faith was pure from beginning to the end.  He had fought the good fight!  He had won the race and he was ready to receive the victor's prize.  What was the key to Joshua's life?  Simply stated:  "He had a single minded devotion to God.  He followed the words offered to him back in the first chapter of the book that bares his name.  

As I think about life and about all of those that I have both observed and counseled and as I consider my own life, it seems that the times of compromise are the most difficult days.   Yes, indeed walking on the fence isn't a lot of fun.

When you're walking on the fence it's easy for the enemy to push you off.   When you are on the fence looking at the pleasures of the world allowing them to entice you, life can be really hard and uncomfortable.   

No matter how you look at it.   If you're looking around it's hard to go straight in life!  Sometimes my wife has to remind me of that when I'm driving my car.  Sometimes I'm distracted by things and I look around and when I do the car inevitable starts to weave.....

I think until we settle it in heart that Jesus is our Lord... period... end of story,  we will always have the temptation to look around and perhaps to even dabble in the world around us.  Sometimes even when we are distracted and looking at good and pleasant things we can get off tract and weave side to side.

To Ponder:  When it comes to your faith in Jesus are you sometimes walking on the fence?  Are you tempted by the things of the world?   Are you in love with God so much that he captivates both your attention and your devotion?

Join with me in prayer: "Dear God we love you.  We want to follow you but we also know we get distracted from time to time.  Today we pray as David did in Psalm 139:23 and 24.  "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See I there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting."   Lord thank you for Joining us as we walk through life.  Help us to have a single minded focus upon you!  And today we say from the depths of our heart,  "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord!

No comments: