Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Who are you to fight the giant? 1 Samuel 17

Oh we have all heard the story of David and Goliath.   It is a favorite Bible story for many children even today.  It's the story of a little boy armed with faith in God, a sling shot and a smooth stone who went up against a mean 9 foot tall fighting giant.    The odds makers in Vegas wouldn't have given David a chance!

Actually no one really took him serious.  

Today instead of retelling the story that we all know I want to think about David's brothers.  You can find the entire story under the Scripture of the week on my blog.  The story comes from 1 Samuel 17 and I encourage you to reread and enjoy the story this week.

Today I want to think about David's brothers.

David's brothers were like every other Israelite man whose heart pounded in fear and cowardice.   They saw the giant... They looked at themselves... and then said,  "You got to be kidding there's no way I'm going to take on the giant no matter what the King offers me if I win." They were afraid.  They were cowards.   They were also probably ashamed.

On comes their younger brother David and you can almost hear them say,  "Now why is he here?!"

What is the little runt doing now?

Why is he asking all those people about the giant?

And why is he so concerned about what the king will do for the one who defeats the giant?

He's just a boy?

Yes... I think the presence of the boy caused the brothers great distress but I don't think they were worried about his health and well being.  Just listen to what David's older brother had to say.

Listen to verse 28 "When Eliab, David's oldest brother, heard him speaking with the men, he burned with anger at him and asked,  "what have you come down here?  And with whom did you leave those few sheep in the desert?  I know how conceited you are and how wicked your heart is; you came down only to watch the battle."

From his words we have to say that David was either a wicked brat of a younger brother or that something different was going on behind the scenes.

If you want my opinion which you may or may not... but since it is my blog you'll get it anyway, ha!;  My personal opening is they were embarrassed.   Embarrassed by the fool that David was making of himself and embarrassed to explain why they weren't brave enough to fight the giant themselves.   My guess is Eliab didn't rebuke him in public because he probably didn't want people to know David was his brother.  My guess is they were also worried that worried that David would go home and tell Dad about their disgrace and their cowardice.   Don't you just hate when your little brother does something like that.....  If you've had a little brother you understand. haha

Yes when your not doing what you know you should be doing you really don't want friends let alone your little brother hanging around.  I wonder if they were even glad when their "little" brother defeated the giant..   Think of the humiliation to have your little brother show you up and bail you out!    I don't think they were throwing their little brother up on top of their shoulders proudly proclaiming...  "This is my little brother!  Who killed the giant while we hid in our tents......."

Oh maybe if confronted Eliab might have claimed to be the one who taught David the fine art of using the sling shot! saying, "I taught him everything he knows"  but even if that was the case it is evident that David had the biggest heart of faith in God!

So what's the application of my blog for the day.... Perhaps you can give a note to your little brother and tell them how proud you are of them... That would be a good thing indeed!   But there something else I'm thinking about....

Today I've noticed that sometimes people become critical of others who are doing great things for the Lord.  Have you noticed that?  Sometimes small churches and small church pastor point out that the Large church down the corner does this and that wrong.. "They are just entertaining people not discipling them."  We mainline and evangelical protestants are also very quick to judge those who show "too much emotion" or those who heal others in Jesus name.

Today I find it shameful on the part of the body of Christ that we are jealous of one another and that we put down those we don't understand or agree with.  Don't we know that we are fighting the same enemy?

I think there is also a jealous between brothers that hurts the family of God as well.  You know it took a long time for James the brother of Jesus to come to faith in Jesus as his Lord.  Actually the fact of his faith and the fact that James was a respected leader of the church in Jerusalem is a great indicator that Jesus really was who he said he was.

Jealousy has no role in the church of Jesus Christ.  We are called to encourage one another to good works.  Thankfully David had faith to work for God even when no one supported him..... not even his brothers!

To ponder:  Is there anyone that I'm competing with?  Is there anyone who I'm jealous of in ministry?  Is there someone I should be more supportive of in ministry?  Pray for that person and maybe show your support by telling someone else how proud you are of their good work for the Lord.

No comments: