Monday, January 13, 2014

How do we trust... In God Proverbs 3:5-8

Proverbs 3: 5-8   "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.   In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones."




Trust....  real trust assumes that there is a challenge or a risk doesn't it?  For instance you don't have to trust when you sit down on the chair at the kitchen table.  You can see with your own eyes and you have the experience of many sittings to prove that it is trustworthy.  I'm blessed with a very dependable car.  I can trust that it will get me where I need to go as long as I put in gas, change the oil and pay attention to the dash board lights.  Yes in a real sense I do trust my car.  Meaning that I believe in its dependability.  

 There are a lot of things that we trust in in a similar way.  We trust in our dependable washer and dryer.  We trust in our roof to keep us dry and our furnace to keep us warm.

Perhaps as I've been writing you realize that trust has two parts to it.  One is the object of our trust;  the chair, the car, the washer and dryer. etc.  And then there is the one whom trusts in, believes in, and actually uses or depends upon them.  I mean what good is a trustworthy car that we never drive?

However, trust gets a little more difficult when it comes to relationships doesn't it?  We want to be surrounded by people that we trust but from time to time we have all been burned haven't we.  Trust is hard for some people and understandably so in case of abuse or perhaps if our spouse has been unfaithful or if they have a history of squandering money.

But can we trust God?  You see our verses for this week only have substance to them if we can trust God. 

Another question to consider is this.  How much are you willing to trust?  I would have no problems trusting my car to drive across town but I'm not sure about going across the country.

The same question confronts us with God.  Will we trust and do things God's way in some situations but in others refer to our own wisdom or personal desires?

I think many people live life that way.  I suppose we have all fallen into that trap.  I bring this up at this point because the scripture teaches us to "trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding".   It seems to me that this is one of the great dilemma's of life.

Will we let God be in the drivers seat of our life at all times?   This kind of trust is hard.  Its the kind of total trust that Jesus showed in the father when he was on earth.

I believe that the promise of our Scripture for today requires such total devotion and "trust" but how do we do this when we don't always know what God wants?  Thankfully because of God's grace,  often we are blessed even as we stumble along in life.  But how many more blessings await those who fully trust in the Lord.   

 So where do we begin?

I think where most people need to start, when it comes to trust, is to develop a personal relationship with Jesus because its hard to trust the one you don't know.  

Prayer:  Lord I want to know you.  I want to trust you.  I want your wisdom for my life in all things.  Help me to trust your wisdom and obey your wisdom especially in those very hard times when we want to do things our way.  In Jesus name.  Amen

No comments: